Welcome

Welcome to the Explorations in Wholeness™ web site.

Explorations in Wholeness™ (EiW) is a series of classes which will teach you to develop the presence, perceptual and contact skills necessary to recognize and interact with Wholeness and its subtly significant expressions of Inherent Motion as a source of assessment and intervention for healing.

Science tells us that 70% or more of the adult body is fluid. Yet, when we touch our clients or patients, we primarily relate to the solid pieces, the bones, muscles, fascia, etc., which make up the other 30%. There are a vast number of textbooks written about the 30%. We study, memorize and often describe the changes we see in our clients or patients in terms of the 30%. We are missing much in not learning to actively address the 70% which makes up the “Fluid Body”.

The Explorations in Wholeness (EiW) curriculum will teach you the importance of direct interaction with the “Fluid Body” which will greatly enhance the effectiveness of any manual therapy, especially those who work consciously with fascia. This curriculum is designed to develop a broad spectrum of touch skills which will expand your understanding of how to contact the body as a whole. Your hands will become much more sensitive. You will get more done, with less effort.

The EiW curriculum is based on the development of the Cranial Concept by Dr. William Sutherland, DO. Dr. Sutherland’s studies began with bones, progressed to the fascia, continued on to the cerebral spinal fluid and then to the entire fluid field which he described as being both within and outside of the body. He described a seamless continuum between all aspects of the whole body from dense bone to fluids, from within the skin to outside the physical body. He taught that by interacting with the fluids, profound healing can occur throughout the body.

The skill development presented through the EiW curriculum builds on your current skills and model of practice whether a massage therapist, PT, Structural Integrator, or craniosacral therapist. We will start from your comfort zone (your current model of success) and then add skills to that approach which will make it more dynamic. Most manual therapy focuses on changing the body from the outside-in. The EiW curriculum amplifies this approach and teaches you how to evoke changes from the inside-out as well, thus providing you with more tools. It will teach you how to work at the deepest levels of the body with very little effort.

The Explorations in Wholeness™ continuing education classes are for those experienced in “cranial touch” and for those who are curious about learning additional contact skills. For those who have experience, these classes will provide a framework and explanation for sensations and experiences many may already be perceiving. It will provide a more conscious way to access these and more even layers of perception at will.

For those less experienced, you will learn how to perceive the various rhythmic expressions usually ascribed to the craniosacral system. Addressing both levels of experience, the curriculum provides a more comprehensive, whole body application of “cranial touch” skills increasing your ability to interact with the body in its entirety. We begin by interacting with the different forms of fascia.
How one relates to the various fascial components requires that we shift within ourselves in subtle yet significant ways. The contact skills necessary for easing superficial fascia are different from the skills needed to rehydrate ligaments, untwist a bone or decompress the pleura.

Healthy fascia has a very fluidic quality. Learning the skills to enhance this quality are necessary to engage the reorganizing potential of the Fluid Body. You will learn how to shift your perception so that a much broader spectrum of what is under your hands can reveal itself. By learning how to perceive the Fluid Body, our work with a healthy, very fluid fascial system will be greatly enhanced.

Your hands will become much more sensitive. You will get more done, with less effort.

Many practitioners have an interest in including the energetic body in their work. The fascia is the bridge to the Fluid body. The Fluid Body is the link between the physical and the energetic. This curriculum provides a logical, accessible bridge between working with the physical body, especially the fascia, the Fluid Body and the energetic body.

To work with the Fluid Body is to engage the functions of Wholeness. We can learn to experience Wholeness with its Inherent Motion as a palpable sensation rather than merely a concept.

Thomas Walker
970-870-2888
rolfingcenter@mac.com